Friday, May 11, 2012

Temuco, Chile; Centro de Genómica Nutricional Agro Acuícola (CGNA); -Danika Tumbleson

I recently graduated as a Genetics & Biotechnology major and had the opportunity last summer to travel to Temuco, Chile to do an internship at the Centro de genómica nutricional agro acuícola (CGNA). It was a great opportunity both to travel and to gain lab experience working at CGNA. While in Chile, I was able to live with an LDS family in the area, eat local food, see volcanoes at Villarica and Pucon on the weekends, and had a great time meeting people and learning the local culture and language. I was able to grow personally during my time there by learning to live outside my comfort zone. During my time at the CGNA lab, I studied Canola, an important crop grown worldwide and used to produce Canola oil. I performed a molecular marker study which helped to determine which types of Canola were the most diverse and should be used in future breeding of this crop. I was able to gain more experience using the lab skills I had learned at BYU as well as gaining valuable new skills. I was also able to learn how these lab skills can translate to almost any kind of research. Although I studied plants as an undergraduate, I am now using the same skills for human research in graduate school. For those who haven’t had lab experience, internships are a great place to start! It is a great way to gain experience and confidence to prepare for a job, graduate, or medical school. It’s also a great way to build your resume and personally gave me an advantage over others in applying and being accepted into graduate school. I would encourage everyone to look for internship opportunities and see what you have to gain!

For more information visit:  http://www.cgna.cl/index.php?id=13&L=1.

No comments:

Post a Comment