Friday, May 11, 2012

East London, South Africa; BYU Field Studies; -Jackie Saumweber

Last summer, I did an internship through BYU Field Studies to East London, South Africa. I am a public health major, and international development minor, and I have always been fascinated by the scope of the global HIV problem-- the fact that one of the deadliest epidemics is the result of a virus that is not particularly contagious, and a disease that is largely (if not entirely) preventable. Through the course of my undergraduate studies, I also became very interested in maternal health, especially in populations where women do not receive equal access to healthcare. Going on a field study and participating in a learner-owned and self-directed educational opportunity gave me the chance to blend all these passions into one experience: I spent three months in South Africa conducting an original research project on women’s perceptions of breastfeeding with HIV and the social and cultural factors affecting their perceptions. I worked with two primary organization, Siyakhana and Ikhwezi Lokusa, to conduct interviews, focus groups, and participant observation. In addition, I volunteered at these organizations, primarily the latter one, in conducting HIV and TB education, developing community health programs and events, writing grants for new projects, attending health conferences, and other various activities.
This experience was particularly beneficial in two ways. First, I had the opportunity to live, work, and interact with people in a new culture and setting. While the public health activities were very educational and informative, the most rewarding thing for me was the relationships I developed with the people, and learning how to function in and appreciate a new cultural paradigm. The skills I gained from these interactions will undoubtedly benefit me in whatever I end up doing with my future. Second, since this project and experience was largely planned, developed, and implemented by myself, it was a great opportunity to work my strengths and build on my weaknesses. The field study approach to research and cross-cultural experiences, although perhaps a little less structured and guided, allowed for me to develop valuable skill such as independence, collaboration, making difficult decisions, patience, being comfortable with ambiguity, confidence, etc. Overall, this experience strengthened my passion for public health, was the motivating factor for my post-graduate plans of getting a Masters in Public Administration, and will forever change my perception of the world.

For more information visit: http://kennedy.byu.edu/isp/.

No comments:

Post a Comment