Friday, May 11, 2012

SLC, Ut; Vistacare Hospice; -Wesley Godfrey

This semester I've had the chance to do an internship with Vistacare Hospice. I am currently preparing to apply to medical school and I'm very interested in going into geriatric medicine, either in a primary care setting or as a hospice physician myself. This internship has been amazing for me because it has included both volunteering with hospice patients and the opportunity to shadow Vistcare's hospice physician, as well as their social worker. I feel like I've been able to see first-hand what it would be like to work in these professions, especially in the difficult settings sometimes associated with end of life. The most rewarding part of the internship, however, has been working with the hospice patients themselves. For one woman I have had the chance to give her companionship and help her compile her personal history. It is amazing how visiting her for just an hour or two a week can make such a remarkable difference in both of our lives. By now I am calling her "Grandma" and I feel a great love for this wonderful lady. I have also had the opportunity to stay with a patient who was actively dying. I felt so blessed to be a support to the family at this difficult time-even playing with toy cars with the kids made such a huge difference to the family so they could discuss important end-of-life decisions without interruption. I have made life-long friends as I’ve been able to minister to the needs of patients with physical symptoms, coma, etc. and I have felt so blessed to take part in this process. I feel that his internship is really helping me gain a vision of what is most important to me in caring for patients and the relationships I want to develop with my patients when I am caring for them in the future. I recognize that my internship is unique in many ways, which is what has made it so great for me. I hope everyone will take advantage of this opportunity to do an internship and customize the experience to best prepare them for the future career and life. What an amazing opportunity to do this through BYU, the connections they have and relationships they’ve gained with so many organizations really opens up doors to us! Take advantage of this chance, you may never get to be involved with so many possibilities and opportunities!
Wes G

For more information visit: http://www.vistacare.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment