Friday, May 11, 2012

Tacoma, Washington; Madigan Army Hospital; -Ryan Mann

Hello All!
I had a fantastic internship this past summer! I really could not have asked for a better experience. As a pre-professional student I knew it was absolutely important to be involved in hypothesis based laboratory research, and this is exactly what I found at my internship. I worked on a specific project involving the pathogenesis of endometriosis that included a myriad of lab techniques that I now feel very confident in. These techniques included: Isolating Genomic DNA, Real time relative quantitative PCR, Immunohistochemistry, Frozen sections, Western Blots, Cell culture, Fluorescent microscopy, Figures and Manuscript Preparation etc. We were able to complete a paper, on which I was second author, that was presented at the Armed Forces District scientific meeting and will later be published in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. More valuable than the lab techniques I learned was the experience of working with absolutely brilliant physicians and researchers, many of whom I still remain in contact with. It was unpaid which made for an interesting time paying for tuition this semester, however if given the opportunity again, I would most definitely take it! If you are contemplating an internship, I would highly recommend it! The time i spent in that lab is irreplaceable, an I know the things that I learned there will carry through to medical school, residency, and even into my career.
Good luck and make sure to have fun wherever and whatever your internship may be.
--Ryan Mann

For more information visit: http://www.mamc.amedd.army.mil/.

No comments:

Post a Comment