Friday, May 11, 2012

Shanghai, China; Jiao Tong University; -Alex Benedict

For three weeks during the summer of 2011 I went with a small group of BYU students and faculty to the Jiao Tong University in Shanghai, China for a Biotechnology internship. It was easily one of the best experiences of my life. During our first week at the university Chinese professors delivered fascinating lectures on a wide variety of topics. Each unique lecture reflected their general approach to research, starting with the big picture then working down to the molecular level. The second week we were assigned to work in labs where we collaborated with the Jiao Tong students on their projects. I worked around brilliant students and learned new techniques for protein isolation. The students there spoke English well and it was pretty fun trying to learn some Chinese words while we waited for the chromatography or centrifuges. On the third week we had the chance to tour a few biotech companies in neighboring cities and got an understanding of how that industry is growing in China. Throughout the internship we saw beautiful gardens, museums, and historical sites that helped me better appreciate and love the Chinese culture and people.

My favorite part of the internship was getting to know everyone there. I loved the instant friendship between students from BYU and Jiao Tong. When we weren't working in the lab or studying we played sports together, got food, sang karaoke, and went into Shanghai. I loved getting to know the professors better as well, there was a great connection between all of us and I plan on keeping in touch.

What an incredible way to learn more about my field and how to succeed. The students and professors shared new insights on how to approach research and learning. I find myself reflecting on this experience quite a bit. It motivates me to do the very best I can in my field and reminds me how cool people are.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    You have created a very useful site and also very informative for all. These are the cornerstones to good pronunciation, and once you have mastered them, everything else will fall in place. Thanks a lot.
    Internship In China

    ReplyDelete