Friday, May 11, 2012

Alberta, Canada; Lethbridge Research Centre; -Andrew Cook

This last spring I have had the great opportunity to work at the Lethbridge Research Centre in Alberta, Canada as a paid co-op student on the topic of cattle behavior and welfare. The current trials involved the transportation of beef cattle and castration of bulls. While most of the actual handling of cattle and data collection had occurred prior to my arrival, it was my assignment to analyze the video and specimens gathered, to compile results, and then perform further analysis on the results we obtained. I became very proficient in video analysis, ELISA’s and other data analysis. I was also able to help supervise and train other co-op students on various experiments. It was a very rewarding and satisfying experience to be involved in a research environment, and it ultimately led me to change my career choice to doing research instead of medicine. This was a great place to get started in research especially since there were so many other scientists working on other projects in agriculture. And if you’re like me and agriculture really isn’t your thing, know that the experience and techniques I gained there transfers right over to the oncology lab I’m in right now. It was a great summer internship!

For more information visit: http://www.agr.gc.ca/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment