Friday, May 11, 2012

Laramie Wyoming; University of Wyoming; -Ijesh Giri

Internship can teach you 2 things: Give you hands on experience in your field of study OR make you realize some things that you don’t want to do for the rest of your life. My experience at the University of Wyoming as a Bioinformatics intern lead me to believe that protein docking wasn’t going to be my pursuit. I did a lot of protein docking studies at the Jessica Liberles Lab there using various programs available. Over the period I realized that protein docking wasn’t fun for me. I wanted to write programs, create new things rather than use already written programs to do things. So after I came back, I switched my major to Computer Science w/ Bioinformatics Emphasis and now I am learning about how to do what I wanted to do, write programs. This also opened a new window of opportunities for me. I would encourage everyone to start early looking for internships and do as many as you can. You might find a lab that is interesting to you and where you want to pursue you graduate program as well.

For more information visit: http://www.uwyo.edu/.

No comments:

Post a Comment