Monday, May 6, 2013

Provo, UT; BYU Dance Training Room - Sean



For my internship, I spent a semester shadowing Dr. Ron Nuttall who is a certified physical therapist as well as the athletic trainer for all of the dance majors and members of the dance teams here at BYU. Ron intrigued me from the moment that I heard the way other people talked about him. They say he is the master and has a miraculous healing touch. I came to understand what everyone was talking about when I met him and saw him work. He definitely has his own way of doing things that most physical therapists don't apply. The effectiveness of his techniques was seen in the progress of his patients.

What I liked most about Ron is that he is very much an on hands sort of physical therapist. Most of today's physical therapists will throw you into a machine and let it do all the work. Even though it saves the physical therapists arms some exhaustion, it is not nearly as effective. 

Despite most of my internship being observation, I still learned a lot of things. I learned things like how to check alignment, correct an up and down slip, massage and perform positional releases for knots and how to properly heat and relax muscles through ultra sound and other techniques. It was definitely a rare and worthwhile experience.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have contact information about Ron? I guess he's no longer at BYU and I have a son that needs to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dance Department's phone number is 801-422-5086. They may be able to give you some contact information.

    ReplyDelete