Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Orem, UT; Center for Women and Children in Crisis: Rape Team Volunteer - Logan

I have been involved with the Center for Women and Children in Crisis (CWCIC) for the past year. My purpose as a volunteer for the CWCIC is to provide emotion relief and community resources to rape vicitms in Utah county. Volunteering included a 48 hour shift every month where you man the rape crisis hotline and respond to any rape victims seeking medical attention. On the rape crisis hotline I talk with victims of rape and help them gain the necessary skills to cope with the traumatic experience of rape. This has taught me how to be more empathetic and has opened my perspective of the outside world. While responding to victims seeking medical attention, I educate the victim about community resources available to them through the CWCIC (free counseling, group meetings, and government assistance). I also help them through the medical process such as the code R exam and any necessary medical treatment. This has helped me see the medical side of treating rape victims from the victims perspective. This is a wonderful way to volunteer and I encourage you all to participate. Training happens every few months. You can get more information by visiting: http://cwcic.org or email: clojik@cwcic.org for more information about volunteering.






No comments:

Post a Comment