Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Alpine, UT; Alpine Fitness & Physical Therapy - Hyrum

At Alpine Fitness and Physical therapy I have learned many things. The internship includes taking quizzes to learn, how the gym is run, anatomical terms, therapeutic procedures, documentation of therapy sessions and how to use therapeutic modalities. These quizzes were very applicable to the knowledge that we needed to function as a prospective employee at this facility as well as a future physical therapist. I was also able to experience the business side of running a physical therapy clinic by running fliers to advertise for the clinic.
This internship is unique in that it allows the interns to learn and practice therapeutic mobilizations and procedures on actual people. I learned mobilizations, tractions, PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation), and massage therapy. I was able to practice these maneuvers on the other interns until I was proficient in completing them autonomously. I also learned how to write SOAP (Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan) notes, these notes are the write-ups of a therapy session that will be sent to insurance companies for billing. I also learned to write Treatment and procedure records. The ability to document a therapy session, and give reason as to why the patient needs the therapy given, is vital in physical therapy because without these documents insurance will not reimburse the therapist. At various stages of the internship I was evaluated on the concepts that had been taught to me up to that point which encouraged me to be proficient in all that was taught. If you are interested in an internship at Alpine Fitness & Physical Therapy more information can be found at alpinefitness.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment