Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Murray, UT; Intermountain Healthcare Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center - Keith

Being pre-med, I was a little hesitant at first to apply for a pre-PT internship, but even so I found that the center is certainly unique and provided an experience that gave me skills that will definitely benefit me and translate to useful life skills no matter what your professional goal. The staff there are simply incredible individuals and they really put a lot of effort into making the center a friendly environment for the benefit of all those who pass through.
Jay Grove is the internship mentor and is very use to training and having interns in the center. He showed me how to do things once and then left me to be pro-active and motivate myself to work. This internship involves a LOT of interaction with people, mainly patients. One of the most valuable skills I gained from this experience is learning how to project confidence in such a way that the patients (many of them two or three times my senior) could be comfortable with me taking their vitals and trust me to know what I was doing. I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone considering going into a health-related field. Internships give you hands-on experience you can't get anywhere else. I had my doubts as to whether or not I would get accepted for the internship because it wasn't geared towards my career goal, but I got it and you can too! Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment