Friday, August 21, 2015

Centro Hispano, Provo Utah

Interning at Centro Hispano was a fantastic experience. I had a wide variety of opportunities to stretch myself and learn new things. My duties included social media manager, HIV lab technician, public health event organizer, and I even helped write and apply for federal grants.
One of my original goals was, “To learn how to empathize with those who need help to improve their health, [and] also learn how to lead them to a better lifestyle.”  I’m happy to report that I accomplished these goals. As part of my internship I completed training to become an HIV prevention counselor and lab technician. Through this training I became certified by the state to test and counsel at-risk/HIV positive individuals. Some of our grants focus on the LGBQT community, a demographic that I had little experience with. Through this internship I was able to interact on a personal and medical level with these people. I learned how to empathize and lead them to a better, healthier lifestyle. I remember a specific time, while performing a test, when I had to calm down a patient who had a phobia of needles; I did this by telling all the lame jokes I knew! Though we may share some differences, our similarities certainly outweigh them. No other experience, including my mission, had allowed me to interact with these people in this manner.
At one point of my internship I was asked to run a booth at a statewide soccer tournament. Our booth, which focused on our anti-tobacco campaign, had a carnival game, which became very popular with the youth. Part of my task was to talk to and teach the children (and occasional adults) that were waiting to play the game.  This experience taught me to get on the level of the children, and teach to their understanding. I also had to learn new Spanish words so I could interact with the adults. This experience was completely unique!
As part of the social media campaign I created health related info graphics, updated the Centro Hispano website, and reached out to the Latino Community through the Instagram and Facebook pages. The purpose was to lead them to healthier lifestyles, and available resources like nutrition and exercise classes. Over time I learned what attracted attention and what did not. In the end my work reached thousands of Latinos in the Utah Valley community.

This was a successful summer. I stayed very busy, and accomplished many things that will benefit me in my life and career. I’m thankful for the opportunities that presented themselves, and the lessons I learned.
-Hayden  

1 comment: