Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Provo Ut; Intermountain Healthcare Cardio Rehabilitation- Kaitlin "100 Day Heart Challenge"

For the last 100 days, I have had the opportunity of working with the 100-day heart challenge participants here at the hospital in Provo.  At the beginning of the program, I was given three participants for whom I would devise work-out routines, and essentially, oversee their physical fitness during the course of the challenge.  With my three participants this summer, I have seen struggles, disappoints, failures, heart aches, successes, and joys.  I have watched as they have motivated themselves to work through pain and trials to change their lives for the better.

I will admit, at the onset, I was skeptical.  I did not really know if 100 days could make a significant difference in the lives of these individuals.  How wrong I was!  And the benefits run deeper than I ever could have imagined.  They are physical, emotional, and spiritual.  Not only have these people learned to sweat and enjoy it (both physically as well as through emotional and spiritual trials as well) but I have gained so much from my experience with them.  Not only have I learned that I actually could love personal training (who knew?), but I've seen the examples of these individuals, and have learned greatly from their life wisdom.  Each has been a blessing to me in my life as I struggle through the many decisions I am facing.

Soon, these contestants will have their final weigh in, and one of them will be declared a winner, but to me they are all winners because of the decision they made to change their lives for the better.  At this time, our paths will part, but I know that I will forever be changed by the decision I made to do an internship this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment